Tofu « Egg » Salad
Holiday comfort foods do not have to be fattening or inhumane! Enjoy this vegan friendly recipe.
- 1 pkg extra firm tofu, drained and pressed*
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp celery, finely minced
- 2 tbsp onion, finely minced
- 2 tbsp green olives, finely minced
- 2 tbsp dill pickles, finely minced
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2-1 tsp black salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Slice tofu in half lengthwise as evenly as possible and place on a doubled over kitchen towel. Place a second doubled over kitchen towel on top. Place a heavy cutting board on top and place several heavy cans or cookbooks on top of that. This will press the water out of the tofu and ready it to absorb the other flavors and give it a drier texture. Leave the tofu to press as long as possible. 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Mix all remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Crumble pressed tofu into the sauce and gently fold. You want to keep some slightly larger chunks. Refrigerate 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.